We get to have a garden! Last Sunday we noticed in our ward bulletin that there were community garden plots available for our townhome complex, and Cody and I about passed out with excitement. Having worked at my dad's nursery for so long, the love of plants and gardening has just been seeping into us. We are so anxious to have our own yard and garden. Every spring we load our front and back patios with planted pots, and they make us so happy all summer. But this year we actually get to have our very own garden, and we couldn't be more excited! Possibly on the verge of obsessive... We check on it like twice a day. The other night we got home around midnight, and were worried about our new plants drying out because we hadn't been home to check them all day. So Cody went out there at 12:30 in the morning to water them - just in case. It has been so much fun for us. Ava loves being out digging in the dirt too. I had to buy her her own set of kids tools, so she would stop trying to use the huge shovels. We've planted all kids of things... tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeƱos, onions, squash, zucchini, strawberries, cantaloupe, beans, radishes, carrots, basil, chives, parsley, oregano, rosemary, Chinese lanterns, gourds, bulbs,... and lots of flowers - I couldn't help myself. This is our first garden ever, so we'll see if we can really get anything to grow - especially all the seeds! The analogy of faith being compared to a seed means more to me now...we're doubtful about our seeds actually growing. This will be a learning experience. So here are a few pictures of our first garden. We are not completely done planting yet & still need to mulch the top, but it's coming along great. You will probably be seeing plenty of garden posts on our blog coming up this summer...




4 comments:
Hey Jessie-
I need your address! It doesn't look like I am going to be down in Utah County for a while, so I am just going to over-night Ava's pictures and CD to you. Call or e-mail me ASAP so I can get them to you! :)
The garden looks SO good! We're very impressed :). I had never even thought of doing cantalope. Mmm, I bet it'll be so good!
WOW, when you were telling me about your garden spot, I had no idea it was so big! I imagined it to be a tiny square, but you really have space to play here. You're so lucky, and I love how dedicated Cody is about your plants, it's cute. I remember him being so good at watering and showing "kindness" to your potted plants, that's why they always look so nice ;)
Deep down we all just want to be farmers...
Post a Comment