10.13.2008

Viva Las... Reno!

Last week Cody and I traveled to Reno, NV for the annual L&L Lawn & Garden trade show for the greenhouse. Even though it was a work trip, we ended up having a lot of fun because we got to go with some of our best friends, Mike & Jaime. I've gone to the show the previous two years as well to do hard goods purchasing for the coming spring season. Now that Mike is the new manager of the store, I just came along this year to show him the ropes.
The trip was quite the adventure! I can't seem to travel to Reno without either missing or barely making a flight! I missed my flight home my first year, and almost missed my fight to Reno last year. So this year we had an 8 a.m. fight to Reno, and we missed it! ...all thanks to the amazing Rhubarb pie that Jamie had made ;)... And the next flight wasn't until 7:30 p.m! The airport workers liked us though, and they like dour rhubarb pie story, so at least they waved the $200 dollar fee it would have been to change all of our tickets. None of us were in the mood to go all the way home to wait, so we decided to vacation in SLC for the day. It turned out to be really fun actually. We went to Temple Square, took the Beehive house tour, and watched the Joseph Smith movie that is playing right now in the Joseph Smith Memorial Bldg. For those of you who have not yet gone to see this movie, and live around here, you really need to see it. This was our first time going to it, and it was so so so so so good. I don't think I have ever seen another film that has left such a deep impression on me. It's amazing. Joseph Smith is amazing. My appreciation and love for him is so much deeper after watching the movie about him. We spent the rest of the afternoon and the Gateway Mall, and then headed to the airport nice and early to catch our plane. Needless to say, we were all very happy we missed our airplane because we had such a good day in SLC.

The church office building
Now to the Reno stuff...
Reno is quite the city... not! I'm not much of a fan actually. It's dirty, and totally a wannabe Vegas. Luckily we were with great company, so we still had fun.
Here we are in our hotel/casino. And yes, there's little Cohen in the stroller. He came along with us, and Ava got to stay at Grandma & Grandpa's for a few days. She totally loved it. Cohen was seriously the most popular person at the show. Everyone was always stopping us to see him and talk about babies. It was like everyone there had never seen a baby! It was probably cuz everyone else at the show was pretty much in the grandparent phase - I think we were the only ones under 35 there, easy.

And the real reason for the trip - the trade show. We only had a day and a half to see everything and place all our orders! So Mike and I were up until 4:20 in the morning after the first show day putting all our orders together! And then Cohen woke up at 6:30, so I got a whole entire 2 hrs of sleep that night. It was a lot of work, but I think we did well ordering dirt, fertilizer, tools... so exciting :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love baby attention! I'm sure he was the main attraction because he was the cutest baby in Nevada. Good job making the most of a missed flight!

Heather Lee said...

It's so good to see Jamie! Does she have a blog? It looks like you had fun, it's so funny how most other states act like children are something of an anomaly...I guess we are just spoiled with all the chubby, dimpled hands and short arms around here.